Monday, February 3, 2020

Tuner Syndrome Awareness Butterfly Week - Card 3 - Darling, You Are A Work of Art



Hello everyone.  Today is Day 3 of my Turner Syndrome/Butterfly Card Week.  If you have not seen my previous posts, I took part in the It's A Girl Thing/Turner Syndrome Blog Hop this past Saturday.  Since the hop is running for a week to give people time to leave comments, I thought it would be fun to make a week's worth of butterfly-themed cards.  So, consider today Day 3 of my It's A Girl Thing/Turner Syndrome Butterfly Week!



There are amazing creations from 57 artists and makers and a lot of prizes to be won.  It ends on February 7th so you still have time to enter.  Head over HERE to check out all the amazing cards made and to enter to win one of the many prizes up for grabs. 


For today's card, I went square.  I have this huge butterfly die (it's 5.5" across) called Large Exotic Butterfly (Cheery Lynn Designs/retired) that I have had for years and it was screaming to be used.  LOL

I went thru my stash to find some papers to use.  I found a nice design with pinks from a Brasilian company that I  could use for the base layer and I found a piece of paper from Crate Paper called Pretty Palette (circa. 2013).  One side has all these cool colorful circles and the other side is a collage of ledger papers.  Very cool!



I started with a top-folding 5.5" square card of white cardstock to which I adhered a piece of the pink Brasilian paper.  I also cut a 5" square piece of the ledger side of the other paper and I die cut the butterfly using black cardstock.  



Then I adhered the butterfly to the ledger paper on an angle and cut off the excess hanging off.  



Next, I adhered this to a piece of dark pink cardstock with just a tiny border and then I adhered this to the card front.
  


Now the fun starts to happen.  I wanted the colorful circles from the other side of the ledger paper to be popping off the butterfly.  

I placed the butterfly face down on the paper and cut around it.  Then I put double-sided tape on the reverse side.  I had a 2.5" wide tape so I used that but use whatever size tape you own. 




Then I die cut the butterfly die again using a metal sheet in my sandwich to make sure the die cut all the way through the paper and the tape backing.  



Now we have to adhere all of those small pieces from the die-cut butterfly into the black butterfly on the card front.  It's much easier than it looks.

I was able to remove the butterfly with most of the pieces intact and the small pieces still stuck in the die are the pieces that I will adhere last to make sure they go where they are supposed to go.  The super small pieces I will not adhere because I am going to use crystals in those spaces.

Here you can see I adhered the pieces of the butterfly on the right side.  



Here is the butterfly with all the pieces adhered down.



To finish off the card, I adhered crystals to the small circles on the wings and I adhered a sentiment with foam squares under it that I found on the Small Talk Stickers by Tim Holtz.




And it's done!  I really love this look of the vintage ledger paper behind the black butterfly with the colors popping off of it.  What do you think?  Let me know by leaving a comment below!

Here's another card I made with the same technique only this card is an A2 sized card.  I like it also but I really love the square sized card.


As always, thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!  I will be back tomorrow with another butterfly card for the It's A Girl/Turner Syndrome cause!  Remember to click on the THIS link to be taken to the hop where you can enter to win a boatload of prizes!!  

Until tomorrow...hugs from Brasil - 

~Michael

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Michael, using the inlay technique - one of my favorite things to do. Love the ledger paper in contrast to the bright colors of the butterfly! Great work. I'm your newest follower, having met you over at the Turner Syndrome Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shona for the amazing comments. Glad you like the technique as much as I do. And happy to be with on this TS Blog Hop!

      Delete
  2. So very pretty! Such an informative hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jean. Glad you like the card. I have learned a lot on this blog hop too!

      Delete
  3. Michael I love that huge butterfly die, it is gorgeous! I love the paper you used and I think I have a piece or two just like that! Great way to use it. Inlaid die cuts are one of my favorite things to do with a die! To me it is like putting a puzzle together!

    ReplyDelete

Make A Tall Giraffe Slimline Card Using An A2 Giraffe Stamp | Technique Junkies | Giraffe Love

  Hello all. I am in love with the new Giraffe Love stamp from Technique Junkies .  It's one of the new stamps in the April 2024 New St...