Friday, September 15, 2023

Rosh Hashanah/Shana Tova/Jewish New Year Card Ideas and a Brief Explanation of the Holiday

 

Hello everyone and welcome to the first night of Rosh Hashana, or Shana Tova, or Shanah Tovah, which are all the ways Jewish people say Happy New Year.  Even though I am Jewish, I don't think I ever made any cards for this holiday and I have no stamps or dies that I could really use.  But a friend of mine told me she was going to mail me one and that lit a fire under my bum to make one for her too - and a few extra.  

Before I get to my card...what is Rosh Hashanah?  Short answer...

Rosh Hashanah is the birthday of the universe, the day G-d created Adam and Eve, and it's celebrated as the head of the Jewish year.  It begins at sundown on the eve of Tishrei 1 (Sept. 15, 2023) and ends after nightfall on Tishrei 2 (Sept. 17, 2023).  The holiday also includes round challah bread with raisins (gosh I miss challah bread) and apples dipped in honey that symbolize the wishes for a sweet year.

To learn more about Rosh Hashanah check out chabad.org, which is where I got the above info. 

Now...on to my card ideas...

Not having any stamps or dies for this holiday, I needed ideas.  
So I jumped on Pinterest - of course.  
And I found this idea, below.  If you love the idea that inspired my card, you can actually buy it by clicking HERE.  (not from me but sharing the link cuz it's the right thing to do).  


Since I don't have any dies that look like the above card, I decided to use embossing folders, of which I have plenty.  None have apples, nor do I have any apple dies or stamps, so I used red cardstock to represent the idea of apples and a sweet New Year. 

  • I started with a 5.5" square card base using red cardstock. 
  • Then I embossed a piece of 5.25" square white cardstock using the Illusion Triangles 3D Embossing Folder from Altenew and adhered it to the card front.  I don't know if Altenew made it this way or not but it is an embossing folder of the Star of David - perfect for all Jewish holidays.  

Now for the sentiment on the front of the cards.  
Since I don't have any stamps or dies, I just typed up and printed my own sentiments, die-cut them and a piece of red cardstock using stitched square dies, and then adhered them to the card fronts.  
Easy peasy!


To finish off these cards, I added a few red enamel dots to the card fronts and, for the inside, I stamped Happy New Year from Technique Junkies on a piece of white cardstock and adhered them to the inside of the cards.





I'm working on a few more ideas and will have them here this weekend.  If you are Jewish or celebrate with Jewish friends, Happy New Year, Shana Tova, Happy Rosh Hashana and I hope you all have a very sweet year.  

Until next time...

Hugs from Brasil.

~Michael



1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! I actually have this embossing folder already-and it is because of you! Years ago at the Ink Pad in NYC we were talking about how few dedicated Jewish things to use there were (then) and you told me to look for Stars of David in things that might not have been intended. As a result I have built up a collection of just that and this is one of them! I have been grateful to you for that idea many times since and think of you when shopping.
    This card is lovely-clean. All the best for the new year-Margot

    ReplyDelete

Make A Tall Giraffe Slimline Card Using An A2 Giraffe Stamp | Technique Junkies | Giraffe Love

  Hello all. I am in love with the new Giraffe Love stamp from Technique Junkies .  It's one of the new stamps in the April 2024 New St...