Thursday, January 9, 2020

If You Give A Crafter A Cookie - Snowflake Challenge



Hello everyone!! Happy New Year - and welcome to 2020.  Crazy how time flies!  I hope everyone had a great holiday, whatever you celebrated and that you had a great New Year - because we all celebrate that! 

With a new year comes new card challenges with the If You Give A Crafter A Cookie Challenge Blog.  The first challenge, Challenge No. 133, is all about "Snowflakes" and here is the inspiration photo that the Design Team had to work with should you wish to play along - 



I know it's winter in many parts of the world but it felt a little strange to be making cards with snowflakes after the holidays.  But then I realized that it's never too early to start making holiday cards for 2020 and that is what I did.  I made two cards.

I started by cutting my A2 top-folding card bases from a piece of 12x12 white cardstock.   With the excess part, I stamped two of the snowflakes from 4 by 4 Snowflakes (Anthony's Paper Craft) using the Blue Raspberry ink cube (Gina K. Designs).  (Note - I change the color I use on the snowflakes later in the tutorial). 


There are 16 snowflakes to pick from and each one measures 1.25" x 1.25".  I knew that I wanted to add some crystals at the end so I picked two snowflakes that would work well with small crystals.  And I spaced the snowflakes apart so that I would have space to die cut them.

I adhered a piece of decorative paper to each of the card fronts using the Merry & Bright paper pad (Fancy Pants Design).  I die cut the snowflakes using a stitched square die (Gina Marie Designs) and, using the next size up, I die cut a solid piece from the same Merry & Bright pad.  



It was at this point that I realized that the snowflake color did not go well with the paper I chose so I went back and stamped the snowflakes again using the Blue Lagoon ink cube (Gina K. Designs) and then I die cut them again.



I adhered the darker blue paper to the card front and then I adhered a snowflake to that using foam tape.



I die-cut two sentiment strips out of white cardstock, placed them in my Misti, and stamped a sentiment on each one using Jet Black Amalgam Ink (Gina K. Designs).  "Happy Holidays" on one and "Peach, Love, & Joy" on the other.  Both are from the Christmas Sentiments 1 - (Anthony's Paper Craft).




Lastly, I adhered the sentiment strips under each of the snowflakes and then adhered some crystals to each snowflake.






I ended up making a 3rd card because, when I stamped the snowflakes in the Blue Lagoon ink, I stamped the wrong snowflake.  But you will have to check back here n the 25th to check it out.  

I'd love to know what you think of the cards.  Feel free to leave a comment below.  I do answer all the comments left.  It might not be on the same day, but I get to them in time.  And if you take part in the challenge please let me know so I can check out your card!  

Until next time....Hugs from Brasil.

~Michael

5 comments:

  1. Those are great cards and we are seeing snow here in Utah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cindy! Glad you like them. I do miss snow but I don't miss the cold. Hope you don't get too much.

      Delete
  2. Lovely cards. Boy, there is a long time since I made a card. I will have to start to work with paper again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carla. Yes, it has been a long time since you played with paper. I would work with fabric but I have no idea how to use my sewing machine. LOL

      Delete
  3. I love these pretty cards, Michael, with the layers and crystals. Great job! I'll look for your third card in a later post. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Make A Tall Giraffe Slimline Card Using An A2 Giraffe Stamp | Technique Junkies | Giraffe Love

  Hello all. I am in love with the new Giraffe Love stamp from Technique Junkies .  It's one of the new stamps in the April 2024 New St...