Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Super Easy and Quick Hanukkah Shaker Cards

 


Hey, y'all.  Are you in need of some super easy, fast-to-make, fun, and noisy shaker cards for your family and/or friends celebrating Hanukkah/Chanukah?  Maybe you are not a stamper.  This might be the post you needed.   

To start, you need some Hanukkah/Chanukah paper or some 4" x 5" journaling cards.  There are several companies that put out a Hanukkah/Chanukah paper collection but I went with the Happy Hanukkah Collection from Simple Stories.  The collection is available as a physical paper collection and a digital collection.  I bought the digital version. 

I started with 2 different journaling cards.  Although I printed 4 of them, I will only use 1 of each for this blog post.  I can fit 4 on a sheet of A4 white cardstock at 80%.  If you have the physical collection, you can just cut the cards out.  They should be the 4" x 5" cards. 



Next, I die-cut each of the journaling cards using the 2nd largest stitched rectangle die from the Stitched Rectangles Die Set 1 from Pink & Main.  If you don't have this die, cut each of the journal cards at 3.75" x 5".

Next, my card base parts.  

First, I made two A2 cards - one vertical and one horizontal - using navy blue cardstock.  

Then, using the Gallery Frame #1 Die from Hello Bluebird, I cut two pieces of cardstock - one silver and one navy blue.  These will be the frames of our shaker card.  

I also cut two pieces of acetate, 3.75" x 5".

And, I used a stitched rectangle die to cut two pieces of white cardstock for the inside sentiment.



Turn your frame pieces over to the back, adhere 1/4" tape to the 4 sides around the window, and then adhere the acetate.  If you do not have 1/4" tape, you might have to cut your acetate larger or smaller to cover the size of the tape you have. 

And, adhere the sentiment piece to the inside of the card.




Next, position and adhere each of the journaling cards to the center of each card front.   


Now...you could just stop here, write a sentiment on the inside of each card, and call it a day.  But, we are making shaker cards.  So, let's keep going.

For the next part, you can use foam tape or you can use foam weather stripping like I used.  I love using weather stripping (from Home Depot or Lowe's) because it's thicker and I can fit more inside the shaker element.  Only one side of the weather stripping has adhesive so I will have to use wet glue to adhere it to the card.  But I am ok with that.  

Adhere the tape around the back of the frame making sure there are no spaces.  Yes, I ran out of one tape but found a different one and used that for the other.  Also, you need to remove any static so use an embossing buddy or some talc or corn starch.  Brush it on and then remove the excess with a brush or soft cloth. 


Next, carefully place all of your shaker elements in the center area of your card front.  You can use seed beans, sequins, ephemera, die-cuts, or anything that will fit inside the frame.  I used small glittered stars and stars from blue fun foam with blue glitter.  Place your items facing up since they might not be able to flip over once the frame has been adhered. 

Add wet glue to the foam tape on your frame or, if you used foam tape with adhesive, remove the tape backing and then adhere to the card front, covering all of your shaker elements.  Seal well so that nothing gets out when shaking the card. 

Done!  Here are the final cards and two short videos showing the shaker elements.





I'd love to know what you think of this idea.  No rubber stamps were used to make these cards either.  Do you make Hanukkah cards?  Anyway, until next time...

Hugs from Brasil!

~Michael

1 comment:

  1. I always wait to see how you make Judaica cards...why I started making cards to start with. I am always inspired by you ! I never would have thought of using that insulation foam! Cool idea! Thanks! I love shakers! I always learn good stuff from you! Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete

Make A Tall Giraffe Slimline Card Using An A2 Giraffe Stamp | Technique Junkies | Giraffe Love

  Hello all. I am in love with the new Giraffe Love stamp from Technique Junkies .  It's one of the new stamps in the April 2024 New St...