Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Yes, It's A Holiday - Buy A Book Day

 



Hello everyone and welcome to another "Yes, It's A Holiday" collab that I do with my friends Debra and Lori.  Today we are celebrating International Buy A Book Day.  

I love to read and really miss a big box bookstore.  We have a few here but the books are normally expensive so, sadly, I read mostly on my iPad. 

According to National Today, this day is celebrated to raise awareness about the dying book-buying and book-reading culture.  Sadly, the U.S. adult population that read books has declined by 7% over the past decade.  And all the insanity of book burnings and books being removed libraries in 2022 is not helping matters.  

Anyhoo...since I will not be getting to the mall today to buy a book, I decided to make some "tag" bookmarks instead, to be used with the books I will buy in the future.  And I love how these turned out. 

I've had this set of  Slimline Tags dies in my stash for some time now and thought these would be perfect for some bookmarks.  One huge.  One small.    

I started by die-cutting the two tag dies from white cardstock.  I used a 240gsm/90/100 lb cardstock.  I also printed the digital book washi tape I bought from SS Digital Studio on Etsy, onto a piece of A4 white cardstock - 180gsm/65 lb cardstock.   


Next, I needed paper for the front and back of the tags.  I went thru my stash and found the perfect paper to use - Library Card P2065 by KaiserCraft.  Sadly, I do not believe it is still available so you will have to dig thru your stash to find papers that work for you and your style.  

I used the same tag dies to cut the pieces for the front and back of each tag.  Because the tags are less than 4" wide, I was able to cut the fronts and backs for each tag using just one sheet of 12" x 12" paper. 

Then I adhered one to each side of each tag and I distressed the edges to hide the white cardstock.  



Next, I die-cut the two rectangle dies using white cardstock and I also die-cut the round pieces to go around the holes at the top of the tags.


Then I cut the strips of the book washi tape designs, distressed the sides, and adhered each of them to the front of the rectangle pieces.  I also rounded the corners and distressed the sides once all the strips were adhered.


Lastly, I adhered each of these pieces to one side of my tag bookmarks, adhered the round pieces to the holes at the top of each tag, and added a tassel to each one. 


Done!  Ready to be used in a book.  

Below are the fronts and backs of each of the tags for you to see.  I love how these turned out and am happy that I used a heavy weight cardstock.  I think I will be using these for years to come.  Or giving them as gifts.  



I hope you enjoyed this idea for today's holiday.  And I hope you can find some time to go check out what Debra and Lori have made.  Their ideas are over on their IG pages, which are linked below.  


Thanks for stopping by the blog today.  Enjoy the rest of your day and I hope you find the time to go buy a book - printed or electronic.  Until next time...

Hugs from Brasil!

~Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make A Tall Giraffe Slimline Card Using An A2 Giraffe Stamp | Technique Junkies | Giraffe Love

  Hello all. I am in love with the new Giraffe Love stamp from Technique Junkies .  It's one of the new stamps in the April 2024 New St...