Thursday, March 11, 2021

Spring Flowers - A Hug in a Mug

 


Hello everyone and welcome to my Anthony's Paper Craft Design Team project for March.  This month we have 2 themes - spring flowers and Easter.  For our individual weekly projects we used the "single flower" images from Anthony and, for our group post on the 15th, it's all about Easter!  For my individual project, I wanted to use this MDF coffee mug from my stash with some of the flowers popping out.  

Although this mug is from here, there are a lot of companies making chipboard or MDF pieces and there are also "coffee mug" dies out there if you wanted to recreate this idea.

I started with a card base 5.5" square to which I adhered a piece of decorative paper, cut 5.25" square, from the Color Wash pad by Pink Paislee (a gift from my friend Debra).  I also cut a piece of white cardstock that I adhered to the inside.   


Next, I stamped the Daylilies and Gladiolus images from Anthony's Paper Craft on white cardstock.  Then I used my Scan N Cut by Brother to cut the images out.  And, then I colored the images in using some old Stampin Up markers.  


Next...I have a coffee cup made out of MDF that I wanted to emboss.  So, I pressed a Versamark ink pad into the cup, layered Opaque Pastel Yellow Embossing Powder from WOW over it, removed the excess and heat set.  Then I did the same thing a 2nd time so that I could get that porcelain look to the cup.


So, here was my game plan - to have the flowers coming out of the cup.  But, since the MDF cup is thick, I need to stamp my sentiment BEFORE I adhere the cup and flowers down.  So I played around with the cup and the flowers, gauging where I was going to adhere everything, and then I went and stamped my sentiment, "Thanks a Bunch" from the Floral Background 2 set.  



I played around with the flowers until I got something I was happy with.  But, before adhering it all down, I felt the card front need "something".  So I grabbed some washi tapes from my stash and adhered some strips.  

Then I adhered the cup and the flowers down using wet glue behind the MDF and foam tape behind the flowers.  I also added some Stickles to give some shimmer.  




And here is the final card.

I'm happy with how this came out but I'm wondering if I should have gone with a different color for the mug.  I wanted a spring/pink/yellow feel to the card.  Well, next time!  I hope you enjoyed this quick card.  I love the idea of using the MDF or chipboard with the stamps.  

Let me know what you think of the card.  I'd love your feedback.  And please remember to check out the group post, right here, on the 15th...for some Easter card inspiration.  Until next time - 

Hugs from Brasil!

~Michael

3 comments:

  1. Michael, this card is so awesome. I needed a dose of spring and this card delivered

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done. I like the yellow cup with the beautiful flowers! I need your help with the Can N Cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Michael! I especially love that bright yellow mug!

    ReplyDelete

Make A Tall Giraffe Slimline Card Using An A2 Giraffe Stamp | Technique Junkies | Giraffe Love

  Hello all. I am in love with the new Giraffe Love stamp from Technique Junkies .  It's one of the new stamps in the April 2024 New St...